Current Article

PRACTICE EXCEPTIONALISM

by John Ingrisano

The Freestyle Entrepreneur

We remember exceptionalism … and the people who do the exceptional.

We remember the bad stuff:  Recently, while talking to a cell phone company representative, I was told I needed a ton and a half of special add-ons that would more than double the cost I was told I would pay.  I spent more time deflecting aggressive sales tactics than I did actually learning about what services were best for me and my business.  It was an unpleasant experience, at best.  I will avoid going through it again with that company, and I certainly will not recommend it to friends and associates.

Fortunately, we remember the good stuff, too:  When I was a young pup, a life insurance agent came all the way across town to talk about my coverage needs.  He knew I was financially barely getting by.  What he did not know was that two other agents previously had attempted to sell me loaded-up policies that I would never have been able to keep in force.

This third agent actually used his fact-finding information, listened to my concerns, and recommended coverage that was very affordable for me at that time.  That first sale did not earn him a huge commission, but it turned out to be the first of many sales over the years.

My point:  We do not forget exceptionalism.  So, when it comes to your own business-building activities, here are several suggestions:

Ask questions about what the customer/client really wants, needs, and can afford.  This is not a mechanical action.  Your goal is to find a good fit between the customer and the product.  (Do this, and you will be amazed at how repeat business grows.)

• Stop thinking of yourself as a person who sells a product or service.  You are a problem solver (What should I get Dad for his birthday?).  Your role is not to sell a product, but to help people and businesses meet needs (Will this vehicle keep my family safe?) and achieve their goals (Will this equipment cut my production time?)
  • Recommend products and services that reflect clients’ needs, nothing more, nothing less.  The true litmus test about what you recommend is whether you would want your own best friend, sibling, or parent to buy it.
  • Do not calculate your profit or commission before the customer is out the door.  This should play no role in your recommendations.  However, if you simply do the right thing – practicing exceptionalism at every step – your profit over time will more than compensate you today and in the years to come.  (You’ll end up having more repeat business, and fewer returns.)

The bottom line:  Work hard, have fun, be scrupulously honest and exceptional in all you do, and you will make money and build a business about which you can be truly proud.    – JRI

John R. Ingrisano
The Freestyle Entrepreneur
john@TheFreestyleEntrepreneur.com

Trackback URL

13 Comment(s)

1. Dean Lund | Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

Thank you for the article and blog. A great reminder of why we are in business. Enjoy and have a great day, Dean Lund

2. how to lose weight With apples | Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

The best HCG diet clinics in Louisiana can help to quickly put you into a better mood.
    Pregnancy is the only time when this hormone achieves.

So if you can do all of these things in order
    to try and slim down, you should hopefully be successful.

3. thompson moving and storage houston tx | Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

There could be a high percentage of improper handling when proper checks like this doesn’t takes place, worst is to lose your hard-earned properties.
    If its taken you 5, 10 or 15 years to get into the condition youre
    in now, then trust me, a stroll just isnt enough. Many of the refugees are moving towards the capitol
    to receive whatever assistance that the government can provide which is
    not much.

4. Boca Raton CPAt testing center | Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Subsequent to passing the selection process, an affiliate has to pick
    the right CPA offers that yield high income.

It is important to contact an attorney with property tax law knowledge in Minnesota including
    knowledge of property tax refund, income property tax, property tax court, appeal property tax,
    tax property consultation, an d more. This can eventually lead them to the courts, which
    would spend them a lot more instead of just hiring a team of financial experts,
    professionals who would work hard to give them the business reports, analysis and assessments they
    need.

5. bodycon dresses online ireland | Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

” How uncomplicated those words roll off our tongues. Another thing to think about are the flowers the bridesmaids will wear. Gown Chic, an intimate boutique, is scheduled to open to the public on December 4th.

6. Metabogarciniacambogia.com | Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

What’s up to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are nice in support of new users.

7. plastic surgery roseville ca | Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

However, rhinoplasty can markedly improve your appearance if you arent happy with the nose you have.
    While Kim and her sisters have been criticized for
    being trashy, classless fame junkies, they’ve also managed to build a
    lucrative brand. and few, if any, of his former patients would disagree.

8. social media marketing Delray beach | Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

Women’s magazines are filled with time-saving tips that apply to every
    area of our lives. So, you’ve gone through and built a starting network.
    Everyone is aware about e-mail marketing in the present day.

9. fort lauderdale Cpap | Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

They told me the Flat Tax would not fly as it
    has too many flaws. Do you still keep your money in your
    foreign bank account. Many taxpayers choose to contact TAS
    because they are dealing with a tax debt.

10. boca raton health and Wealth management advisors | Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Are you taking the CPA examination and fear that you’re not gonna pass it.

There are lots of so called professionals that introduce themselves by
    names and their promising background although you do
    not have any idea who really are they. Does she have
    the license to practice in your state.

11. facial plastic surgery hattiesburg ms | Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more adventurous,
    or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    Sometimes, our decisions could be clouded by pressure from our surroundings.
    Also people who are involved in entertainment industry are often required
    to keep themselves look younger and attractive since it.

12. Laser hair growth devices | Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

In the league of hair care products, its risk free trial and consumer testimonials are
    the talk of the town. Vitamin C is found in many foods, notably
    the citrus group. Hair loss is something that affects millions of
    people all over the world, and it can be a very embarrassing problem for many.

13. hcg weight loss results before and after | Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Taking medicaltions or birth control pills will not effect pregnancy tests, unless of course your medication contains h
    – CG. Each year multiple ideas of what will work in helping us lose weight fast,
    is tossed around the radio dial, internet, and television about as often as
    Nicolas Cage makes movies. There is also an eating regimen that you
    will have to follow very closely.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.